Hi there! If you would like to the best ways to buy & resell online, than this is the post for you! Here’s some background on me first:
- I’ve been selling on EBay since 2013. (fashionfromnj)
- I’ve been selling on an app called Vinted for over a year. (lalalacey721)
- I’ve been selling on Facebook Yard Sale sites for almost two years.
- If you didn’t know that there were Facebook yard sale sites, look up your town name or county that you live in, and yard sale site after and it should pop up! I’ll explain a little more about this in a little bit!
First, how to pick out the right things to sell. I’ll tell you right now that you probably have over $200 sitting in your closet. There are things that you definitely do not use anymore that are just collecting dust when you could be getting cash for them! Here’s my biggest sellers:
- Women’s clothing/shoes/purses with good brands (Forever 21, H&M, Michael Kors, Kate Spade, etc.)
- Men’s shoes
- Kid’s Clothes/Shoes
- Refurbished furniture
- DVDs/CDs/Video Games
If you do not have these items in your home and you want to start your own business by buying and reselling, here are some ideas of where you find those kind of things:
- Goodwill is good for women’s clothing and refurbished furniture. There are some great finds. I’ll let you in on a secret. Every day of the week, there are colors listed where if the tag is that color, the item is half off. However, the most exciting day is Sunday. When you go to Goodwill on a Sunday, the colors that are listed means that items with that color tag are ONLY ONE DOLLAR. Buying at only a dollar and then selling it on one of the sites will absolutely let you flip!
- Yard sales are an awesome way to find stuff for cheap. I found this amazing website (https://www.yardsalesearch.com) where you can type in your zip code and it will pull up all local yard sales that are registered to that site. Yard sales provide furniture and cute little knick knacks that you can redo and flip for a good amount of cash.
The best places to sell for me are below:
- Vinted has been my best seller for women’s fashion. From my closet alone, I made over $100. After I started shopping at Goodwill on Dollar Days, that $100 jumped to almost $300 profit. Vinted users are known as “Vinties” and they are notorious for sending offers for less. Sometimes, it’s better to send it off for a lower price because they come back in the future to buy again. Also, Vinted has a bundle option. For example, on my page, I offer a 20% off discount if you buy 2 or more items and 30% off if you buy 5 or more items. My favorite thing about Vinted is that the buyer always pay shipping. You can select 3 different weights. 0.5 lbs (Small) is best for small things like a single shirt or jewelry. There’s 2.0 lbs (Medium) which is good for jeans, or a bundle of a few things. Finally, there’s 5.0 lbs (Large) which is perfect for a big purse or a bundle of 5 or more items. When you sell your item(s), Vinted sends you a shipping label via email. You post that on your envelope/box, and send it on it’s way. The absolute best thing about Vinted is that there is NO PERCENTAGE TAKEN. Whatever you sell your item for is what you’re getting! You can link up your bank or your PayPal account to receive your earnings. You get the money sent when the buyer receives their package.
- I have been selling on EBay for the last six years as I said above. The most successful things to sell on EBay are name brand purses (Michael Kors, Kate Spade, Coach) and DVDs/CDs/Video Games. They sell at a pretty cheap price, but a profit is a profit. To sell, go to the sell tab and write a title of what you will be selling. The best idea is to use a lot of different adjectives when describing your product because people usually look up specific keywords. Post as many pictures of your item (you’re allowed up to twelve). Be as descriptive as possible. If it’s a fashion item (purse, shirts), take the measurements. By that, I mean shoulder-to-shoulder for shirts or for a purse, shoulder strap length. Add a bio about what kind of condition the item is in. You can add an auction price, which is what people will often choose to do because it’s priced less. Also, you can add a “Buy It Now” option for a price of your choice. When choosing the shipping, you should weigh it on a scale in a box or envelope so that way it won’t be not enough when you get to the post office. You pay for shipping out of pocket first. When the item is paid for through PayPal, you get the amount of shipping back. On the other hand, there is an option for free shipping. If you do this, there is no reimbursement for the shipping. When you list, there is no listing fee up to fifty items. You can put up fifty of your items for free. For the fifty-first, there is a small fee that is taken. You can list your item on EBay for up to a month. Most people pick a 7-day duration. If your item doesn’t sell, nothing is taken from you. If your item does sell, 10% is taken from your final sale price. You print out the shipping label from EBay, put it on the package, and send it on it’s way.
Facebook Yard Sale Sites
- Facebook yard sale sites are perfect way to get some cold, hard cash in your hands in a quick manner. Have some piece of furniture that you don’t need anymore? Facebook yard sale site. Have kid’s clothes that your child has grown out of? Facebook yard sale site. Have cute purses that you just don’t use anymore? Facebook yard sale site. Take some pictures of your items and post them on this site. Be descriptive, but also to the point. They’re not looking to read paragraphs long of information. There is a lingo to go along with the Facebook sites. When posting to multiple sites, make sure you put “cross posted or xposted” to let the buyer know that there could be someone else interested on a different site. When a buyer is interested, they will comment “interested” or something along those lines. This is when you will direct message that individual and figure out a time to meet or to do a porch pick-up (ppu: you will see this quite a bit). If you’re comfortable enough to have someone coming to your house, the better option is a porch pick-up and they can leave the money in your mailbox. If not, pick a local public place like a mall or grocery store, for example. Some people pick places with a lot of people if they’re uncomfortable. Therefore, meeting is also great because there’s a lot of people around to see if anything wrong happens. Facebook yard sale sites are easy because that’s all it takes. After that, you get the cash and have it in hand.
I hope that this guide has helped you figure out what to sell if you’re not using it anymore, and what to buy and resell if you’re looking to start your own business! The money will start rolling in when you follow these steps! This is great because you can eliminate debt like I’m trying to with college loans. It’s quite a process and you won’t see money right away, but more over a long-run when you save all the money you’re making! So be patient, and make your money!